This project was funded by ECHO through ActionAid Cambodia
- New training for primary school teachers in Schools
KAFDOC, under the support of ActionAid Cambodia, conducted a training for primary school teachers in 3 clusters of 3 communes. This training was joined by other resource persons who attended in the Training of Trainer (TOT) training of Community Based Disaster Risk Reduction (CBDRR) and Joint Action Group (JAG) team (Cambodian Red Cross). They are from the Provincial Department of Education Youth and Sport (POEYS), teacher of Pedagogy and Provincial Red Cross. Each training lasted 3 days and covered many topics:
- Disaster concept and terminology,
- Disaster management and Development, and Climate Change Adaptation (CCA).
- Risk Assessment and Planning.
- Concept of Safety of children and schools and safety culture for children and school.
- How to teach children on Disaster Risk Reducation (RDD) and cooperation between school and Commune Committee Disaster Management (CCDM) in Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Orientation on the school DRR plan format.
All participants gained awareness on Disaster Risk Reduction.
The trainees gained new experience from other trainee and facilitators to mainstream to their student. Most of the trainees understood about the cause of climate change and how to adapt their behavior in the future.The trainees got an understanding of the utility of risk assessment at school level and can identified the hazard and risk to the children at school and around the school.
- Secondary school students training
The training gathered 32 students. The resource person in the training were : Provincial Office of Education officials, KAFDOC and ActionAid. This was a training camp organized by KAFDOC on Koh Trong Island and all the student stayed together during 3 days. Moreover, 2 children from the Orphan and Vulnerable Children (OVC) project of KAFDOC were invited to share the experience of working with Commune Council and peers education. They also shared their knowledge on child rights.
The training had great results:
- Students have more easily dared share their ideas to the group: more debates took place among them during the group discussion, many questions were raised by other groups and answers provided by the group presenter.
- Students can identify the hazard in their communities and schools and they can also develop the hazard map by themselves.
- Students can develop preparedness plans for individuals and families in relation with the seasonal hazard in their community.
- They understand about their roles and responsibilities to share their knowledge to other students through awareness and daily job/activities at their school
- Create DRR volunteers in 7 junior schools with the support of the focal teachers
Commune Committee Disaster Management (CCDM), Project Officers of KAFDOC have conducted the Campaign on Cleaning the environment for Health in Chroybanteay, Kampongkor, and Rusiekeo Commune
In the Campaign, KAFDOC staffs, Village chiefs, Community Facilitators (CFs), Focal Persons and teachers led the march from their villages to pick the rubbish on the road to the commune office. During the march, messages about health awareness were diffused by Microphone. When the march arrived at the commune office, the Deputy of Commune Chief, Village Chiefs, School Cluster and KAFDOC’s members of staff gave the messages. All the rubbish were burned and a quizz was organized.
– 491(F:199) participants in the Campaign.
– The Villages were cleaned.
– The participants understood how to take care of their own health
– 85% of participants could answer the questions
Schools will revise and develop School level Disaster Risk Reducation plan and implement school level mitigation activities and organize interface meetings with the CCDMs, DCDMs to review and reflect on the DRR findings and activities.
KAFDOC staffs and District Office of Education officials have conducted the meeting to orient the DRR School Plan to each cluster of schools, 3 Directors of Secondary School and 3 CFs in Chroybanteay, Kampongkor and Russiekoe Communes. Results of the meeting;
– DRR school plan, DRR School Development Plan, the budget for DRR School Mitigation ($300), School DRR Management structure, Job Description of DRR Management are being developed.
– 85% participants were able to complete DRR school plan Form.
– The DOE understood every issues and challenging raised during the meeting.
– The participants were aware of the Campaign
– They know the way of developing the Structure of School DRR Management Group
- Developing 15 School DRR Plans
KAFDOC staffs, DOE, 3 District Facilitator Teams (DFT), a cluster of 3 schools and 3 Secondary School Teachers in Chroybanteay, Kampongkor and Rusiekoe Communes conducted the meeting on developing School DRR Plan in 15 schools in Chroybanteay, Kampongkor and Rusiekoe Communes.
The meeting was attended by 324 people and had several positive results:
– All students who participated in the meeting know how to develop School DRR plans
– All 15 schools have got School DRR plans
- 30 awareness programs on seasonal hazards, risks and vulnerabilities performed at Community level by cultural groups
Culture teams signed the Memorandum (MOU) with KAFDOC to conduct the awareness program on seasonal hazard, risk and vulnerability. Before they start the performance, they drafted the stories and messages. The Project officer from Actionaid Cambodia has helped them to edit the stories and messages:
– Prevention of storm performance.
– Prevention of Dengue Fever performance.
– Prevention of bird Flu performance.
– Prevention of Diarrhea performance.
The performances were repeated 15 times in 15 different Schools in Chroybanteay, Kampornkor and Russeikeo Communes.